The White House condemns Trump’s “troubling” statements to NATO | Military news

The front-runner for the Republican nomination shows no signs of easing his hostile stance toward the military alliance.

The White House has condemned as “troubling” comments by Donald Trump that the United States should not help NATO protect allies from a possible Russian attack.

The former US president, who appeared to be talking about a previous meeting with NATO leaders during his latest political rally in South Carolina on Saturday, claimed he spoke with the president of a “big country” about allies rushing to defend each other.

“Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we get attacked by Russia, will you protect us?” The leader narrated his saying.

I said: Why did you pay? Are you a delinquent? He said: Yes, suppose that happened. No, I won’t protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You have to pay.”

“Encouraging murderous regimes’ invasions of our closest allies is horrific and disruptive — and puts America’s national security, global stability, and our economy at home at risk,” White House spokesman Andrew Bates said.

President Joe Biden, who is seeking re-election in November, has empowered the alliance since taking office in 2021, ensuring that NATO is now “the largest and most vibrant it has ever been,” Bates added.

“Instead of calling for wars and promoting dysfunctional chaos, President Biden will continue to strengthen American leadership and defend our national security interests — not against them,” he said in a statement.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), a military alliance of 29 European and two North American nations, has a clause in its statute that states that it must defend any member under attack.

This is not the first time that the most likely candidate for the Republican Party nomination in the upcoming presidential elections has criticized the coalition.

When Trump assumed the presidency, he threatened to withdraw the United States from NATO. He has also indicated that he might cut Washington’s funding for the organization, and has repeatedly complained that the United States is paying too much.

With the war in Ukraine showing no signs of stopping, concerns have grown about the repercussions of a possible Trump victory in November.

Kiev is desperately seeking funding to advance its war efforts. The European Union agreed earlier this month to allocate an additional amount A 50 billion euro ($54 billion) aid package for UkraineHowever, Biden’s attempt to get approval for the US aid package is faltering amid internal political disagreements.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said last month that he did not believe a second Trump presidency would threaten US membership in the military bloc.

The official, who has been urging member states to increase military spending, said European allies were increasing their military contributions and “moving in the right direction.”

Since the start of the Ukraine war in February 2022, US aid to Ukraine has totaled about $75 billion, according to Stoltenberg, who said other NATO members and partner nations combined have provided more than $100 billion.

(Tags for translation)News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *