The United States launches strikes in response to the attack that killed soldiers in Jordan Conflict news
The United States warned that it would respond to targets linked to Iran after the killing of three American soldiers on Sunday.
The US military launched dozens of air strikes on targets in Syria and Iraq in the first retaliation for a drone attack that killed three soldiers at a remote US base in Jordan.
“This afternoon, at my direction, US military forces struck targets in Iraq and Syria that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and its affiliated militias are using to attack American forces,” US President Joe Biden said in a statement on Friday, referring to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. (Iran’s Revolutionary Guards).
“Our response begins today. It will continue at times and places of our choosing,” he added.
US Central Command (CENTCOM) said its military forces struck more than 85 targets in the two countries “using numerous aircraft, including long-range bombers coming from the United States.”
She added in a statement that “the air strikes used more than 125 precision-guided munitions.”
The US Central Command said that the facilities that were bombed included command and control operations centers, intelligence centers, weapons storage sites, logistical facilities, and the munitions supply chain belonging to groups linked to attacks against US forces.
US Central Command statement regarding US strikes in Iraq and Syria
At 4:00 PM (EST) on February 2, US Central Command (CENTCOM) forces launched airstrikes in Iraq and Syria against the IRGC-QF and its affiliated militia groups. US military forces… pic.twitter.com/HeLMFDx9zY
– US Central Command (@CENTCOM) February 2, 2024
There were three American soldiers killing About 40 others were injured in a drone attack on the military base known as Burj 22 near the Jordanian-Syrian border on Sunday.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, a coalition of groups linked to Iran, claimed responsibility for the attack Drone attack.
The United States has said from the moment the attack occurred that there would be a military response, and US officials such as Joe Biden and Lloyd Austin have said that the response will come in multiple forms. “This may be the first phase, but those retaliatory US airstrikes have now begun,” Al Jazeera’s Roseland Jordan said in a report from the Pentagon.
She added: “This is the first step, and I do not think it will be the last.”
Syrian official media said on Friday that an “American aggression” against a number of sites in the Syrian desert and on the Syrian and Iraqi borders led to a number of deaths and injuries.
Iraqi security sources told Al Jazeera that six air strikes targeted a number of sites in the country.
“Dignified transportation” of bodies
Although the US strikes did not target any sites inside Iran, they are likely to increase concerns about escalating tensions in the Middle East due to the more than three-month-old Israeli war on Gaza.
The strikes come hours after the president Biden He met with the families of the three soldiers killed Sunday — William Jerome Rivers, Kennedy Sanders and Breonna Moffett — as the service members’ remains arrived in the United States.
Biden and his wife, Jill, visited Dover Air Force Base in the US state of Delaware on Friday to honor the soldiers during the “dignified transfer” of their bodies.
US Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, C.Q. Brown, also attended – their presence highlighting the importance, as well as its relative scarcity, of the return of dead service members in the wake of the US exit from major foreign powers. Conflicts.
Biden’s statement on Friday said the United States “does not seek conflict in the Middle East or anywhere else in the world.”
But the US President added: “Let all who might seek to harm us know this: If you harm an American, we will strike back.”
Earlier this week, when Biden was asked Regarding whether he holds Iran responsible for the drone attack, he said: “I hold them responsible, meaning that they are supplying weapons to the people who did this.”
Republicans in the United States are calling for a strong response, including directly against Iran.
The Biden administration suggested that the US response to the drone attack would be long, rather than a single strike.
John Kirby, White House national security spokesman, said Thursday that it “will be a multi-layered approach” over a period of time. “The first thing you see won’t be the last thing you see,” he told reporters.
(Tags for translation)News