The effects of the Israeli raids on Rafah News of the Israeli war on Gaza
At least 67 people were killed in air strikes on the densely populated city of Rafah, according to a statement from the Ministry of Health in the Hamas-run territory.
The Hamas government reported that the pre-dawn raids on Monday hit 14 homes and three mosques in different parts of the city located south of the Strip.
The Israeli army said that it “carried out a series of raids on terrorist targets in the Shaboura area in the southern Gaza Strip.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told ABC News that the Rafah operation will continue until Hamas is eliminated, adding that it will provide “safe passage” for civilians wishing to leave.
When pressed to specify where they could go, Netanyahu said: “You know, the areas that we cleared north of Rafah, there are a lot of areas there. But we are working on a detailed plan.”
The Israeli army announced early Monday that two people had been rescued in Rafah after about 130 days of captivity.
The army said in a statement that the two were Fernando Simon Marman and Louis Haar, saying that they were “kidnapped by the Hamas terrorist organization on October 7 from Kibbutz Nir Yitzhak.” She added that they are “in good medical condition.”
Some 1.4 million Palestinians have crowded into Rafah, many of them living in tents, while food, water and medicine have become increasingly scarce.
The precarious humanitarian situation in Rafah has prompted aid groups and foreign governments, including the United States, Israel’s main ally, to express deep concern about the potentially disastrous consequences of expanding operations there.
(Tags for translation)Photo gallery