Prince Harry receives damages in the hacking case and summons Piers Morgan
Prince Harry has settled his privacy claims against the publisher of a British tabloid newspaper, his lawyer told a London court on Friday, two months after a judge found the publisher guilty of crimes. “Widespread and habitual” piracy. From the prince’s mobile phone.
The settlement with the Mirror Group newspapers – which his lawyer said would amount to at least £400,000, or $504,000 – ended one of the battles in Harry’s long-running war against the press over its intrusive coverage of his private life.
It was as much a financial victory as a symbolic one, which could help defray the legal costs Harry has incurred during years of litigation against the tabloids. David Sherborne, the prince’s lawyer, said that in addition to paying the costs of the case, the Mirror Group would pay “significant” additional damages.
“We have exposed and proven the dishonest and shocking way in which the Mirror conducted itself for many years,” Harry said in a statement read by Mr Sherborne outside the High Court. Harry, who did not attend the hearing, said he would continue his “mission” to expose what he called the corrupt practices of tabloids.
At issue in the case was whether the Mirror Group, which owns the Daily Mirror and other popular publications, engaged in illegal conduct, including phone hacking and other deceptive techniques, to reveal personal information about Harry and the other plaintiffs, including British television. Actors.
In December, Judge Timothy Fancourt ruled, Granted The prince owed £140,600, or roughly $180,000, after it emerged that Harry had been a victim of hacking. He left the door open to further settlement, since that ruling was based on just 15 articles, a small fraction of the materials presented by Harry’s lawyers.
The lawyers presented a further 115 items as evidence of illegal behaviour, which would have required two more expensive trials. Legal experts said that the Mirror Group, by agreeing to the settlement at this stage, is trying to cap its financial obligations as it faces other potential lawsuits related to piracy.
A spokesman for the publisher said: “We are pleased to have reached this agreement, which gives our business greater clarity moving forward following events that occurred many years ago for which we have apologized.”
In his statement, Harry singled out Piers Morgan, a prominent TV personality and former editor-in-chief of the Daily Mirror, saying Mr Morgan “knew very well what was happening”. Harry said: “Mr Morgan’s disdain for the court’s ruling and his continued attacks since then demonstrate why it is important to obtain a clear and detailed ruling.”
Judge Fancourt said there was evidence that Mr Morgan was aware of the hacking while at the Mirror. Mr. Morgan, who was An outspoken critic of Harry and his wife, MeghanHe denied his involvement in piracy.
Daniel Taylor, a media lawyer at London-based Taylor Hampton, who represented one of the other plaintiffs in the case, said: “The judge today once again strongly criticized Mirror Group Newspapers for their conduct in this claim and awarded costs at the punitive level.” Case, Fiona Whitman.
The settlement came at the end of a hectic and anxious week for Harry, the 39-year-old youngest son of King Charles III. On Monday, shortly after Buckingham Palace revealed the royal had been infected He was diagnosed with cancer Cessation of public engagements, Harry flew from Los Angeles to London Visiting his father.
The two met for less than an hour at the King’s London residence, Clarence House, and Harry almost immediately returned to the United States. On Thursday evening, he appeared at the National Football League Awards Ceremony in Las Vegas, where he handed out the award to Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward.
In a funny speech that sparked laughter from the audience, Harry did not mention his father’s illness. He said of American football that the United States “stole rugby from us and made it your own.”
Harry v. Mirror Group is one of several privacy lawsuits against tabloid newspaper publishers. He is also suing Rupert Murdoch’s News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun, part of a lawsuit involving pop star Elton John against Associated Newspapers, which publishes The Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday. These cases also included allegations of phone hacking.
Last month, Harry withdrew a libel suit against the publisher of The Mail on Sunday newspaper over his security arrangements after he and Meghan separated from the royal family and moved to the United States in 2020.
Harry’s decision to take the publishers to court was unusual for a member of the royal family, which usually resolves such disputes through negotiations or private settlements. and his older brother, William, Privacy Claim Settlement against News Group newspapers for a similar amount of money.
Last June, Harry became the first senior member of the family to stand before the court since 1891, when Queen Victoria’s eldest son, Prince Albert Edward, testified in a case involving irregularities during a gambling game in which he was present.
In his sometimes raw testimony, Harry said the torrent of negative stories about him and his family members led him to distrust even his closest friends. Many stories focused on Harry’s relationship with his ex-girlfriend. Chelsea DavyWho he said found a tracking device in her car.
Another article included details about an incident in which he broke his thumb at school. “Not only do I have no idea how I would know this, but these types of things instill paranoia in a young man,” Harry testified.
He said that editors and reporters had “blood on their hands” because of the efforts they made to search for news about him and his family.