Postponing the protest against the postponement of elections in Senegal after the government ban Politics news

The group of 40 groups behind the march protested against the “constitutional coup”, as the opposition claimed.

A protest march scheduled for Tuesday against Senegalese President Macky Sall’s controversial decision to postpone this month’s presidential elections to December has been postponed after authorities banned it, organizers said.

Iliman Happy Kin, one of the organizers of the march, told Agence France-Presse news agency that he had received an official letter from local authorities in the capital, Dakar, stating that the march would be banned because it could seriously impede traffic.

Malek Diop, coordinator of the group that called for the protest, said: “We will postpone the march because we want to remain within the law.” “The march has been banned. There is a problem with the path so we will change this.”

Mobile internet coverage has also been restricted, just as it did on the day of the parliamentary vote.

“Due to the publication of numerous disruptive hate messages on social networks that have already sparked violent demonstrations… mobile data was suspended on Tuesday, February 13,” the Ministry of Telecommunications and Digital Energy said in a statement.

Sall’s decision to postpone the February 25 elections plunged Senegal into a crisis that saw clashes between demonstrators and police in which three people were killed.

The R Sono Electoral Association (Let’s Protect Our Elections), which includes about 40 civic, religious and professional groups, has called for a rally in Dakar on Tuesday at 15:00 GMT.

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) called on the government to restore the original election schedule. The Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States met with Nigerian President Bola Tinubu on Monday, Sal visited to discuss This comes just days after an emergency session of foreign ministers was held within the bloc.

African Union Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat urged Senegal to resolve its “political dispute through consultation, understanding and dialogue.”

“Constitutional coup”

Sall said he postponed the elections due to a dispute between Parliament and the Constitutional Council over potential candidates banned from running and due to fears of a return to the unrest we witnessed in 2021 and 2023.

Parliament supported the suspension The elections continued until December 15, but only after security forces stormed the National Assembly and detained some opposition representatives.

The vote cleared the way for Sall – whose second term was due to end in April – to remain in office until his successor is installed, possibly in 2025.

The Senegalese opposition denounced the move as a “constitutional coup” and suspected it was part of a plan by the presidential camp to extend Sall’s term in office, despite his confirmation that he would not run again.

Sall, who has been in power since 2012, is seeking to find a way out of the unrest.

Media reported the possibility of a new dialogue with the opposition, including anti-establishment opposition leader Ousmane Sonko, who fought the state for more than two years before being jailed last year.

Some have suggested the possibility of pardoning Sonko, his jailed second-in-command Basseru Diomaye Faye, and people arrested during the unrest in 2021 and 2023.

The government did not comment on the reports.

Senegal’s eight public universities began a two-day strike on Monday to protest the death of a student during unrest on Friday in the northern city of Saint Louis, Senegal’s main higher education union said.

Human Rights Watch said that at least 271 people were arrested on Friday and Saturday.

Former presidents Abdou Diouf and Abdoulaye Wade – the father of one of the excluded candidates, Karim Wade – called on Sall to organize “the national dialogue that was announced without delay,” according to a letter sent to Agence France-Presse and attributed to the former president. Leaders. They also called on young people to “end the violence immediately.”

(tags for translation) News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *